Monday, March 4, 2013

What I learned this week: Stitching Letters


HELLO!
Welcome to my new blog series:
What I learned this week.

Do you like my five-second no Adobe Illustrator-experience-whatsoever series banner? (HA!)

Each Monday I'll talk about a new (to me) technique and all the mistakes I made during the process.

This week's technique was inspired by Sasha Farina's gorgeous stitched layouts for Studio Calico.
Candy colored vintage buttons, vellum paper "Bokeh" and my favorite Glitz line ever.
Materials: GLitz Design Color Me Happy papers, vintage buttons, Maya Road burlap heart and orange twine from Divine Twine.
I'm waiting for my Amy Tangerine letter stitch stencil to arrive.  (EXCITED!)
Till then, I'm using embroidery grid paper which is AWESOME... if you can draw.
This was a LOT harder than I thought but I've been promising to practice my penmanship for YEARS
so saturday night I put on Season 3 Sons Of Anarchy episodes on Netflix and got to work.
Since I was using thick twine (first mistake) many of the letters  required tape to
keep the twine in place.  

What I learned this week:
  1. Use thinner embroidery thread and smaller needle for detailed jobs like this. I used a huge upholstery needle- easy to find in my mess but hard to use without punching through the paper.
  2. Reinforce paper that has had string punch through with washi tape. 
  3. Twine is not the best option for paper but looks FANTASTIC on burlap details or sewn through button holes.
  4. The duo-tone twine blended right into the paper. Use a brighter or contrasting color for titles.
  5. Stick buttons down with Zip Dry BEFORE you stitch them on a page.
  6. Walk back and STARE at your layout BEFORE you stitch everything into place! 
  7. The location icon that is the main focus of this page has a wonky right side because I was working right over the page and never spotted that the buttons need a little more curve there. 

Could be better but it's my first time. Loved this- will be trying it again!
What did you do this weekend?
Also what crazy technique would you like me to try out?

Have a great week!
Michelle

6 comments:

  1. I love this new series and look forward to your posts! Great tips on the stitching. I love the whimsy in the words you choose for titles, and the stitching adds another level of fun to your layout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Michelle! Looking forward to the series :) I thought this page was so eye catching and unique when I saw it on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your experimental spirit and that you share with us. the results are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your experimental spirit and that you share with us. the results are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this page! Especially the shape you've put the buttons in. Am racking my brains now for a really wacky technique for you to try...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun page! Such cute colors and shapes. And I love the stitchin!

    ReplyDelete

Ok peeps lets CHAT! You tell me what you REALLY think and I PROMISE to keep it open minded here.