Sunday, June 17, 2012

Learning, playing- working? YES! It's possible!!!

One of the reasons you don't see me around as much lately (sorry!) is that I got a paying gig!

I'm now working at Paper Source!
Can I hear a "WOOT! Woot!"?

Paper Source isn't your typical crafty shop- I am amazed by the depth of their crafting collection.
Sure they sell paper (gorgeous artisanal paper) but they also sell all kinds of paper crafts tools and materials I haven't gotten around to discovering yet.

I wanted to share just a few of the projects I get to make during my rigorous training- seriously guys- it's like crafty boot camp (without all the shouting and dropping to do 250 push ups).
Like a fish needs a bicycle notebook
Materials: Paper Source Nautical and Bicycle wrapping papers, Zutter Bind It All (I got to use it for the
first time ever. I MUST have it!!!!), Paper Source card stock in Pool, Uni Ball silver gel pen,
Fiskars 1 inch circle punch and hole puncher- brand unknown.
Wedding Invitation Suite.
 I had an hour and 20 minutes to come up with a design and incorporate it into an Invite with envelope, RSVP card, table tent, place card and favor box- it was bananas! I tried to keep it as simple as possible. I didn't include the favor box as Lola promptly destroyed it thinking there were chocolates inside.
Materials: Paper Source Luxe card stock for the A7 envelope, pocket folder enclosure invite, 4 bar folded card and envelope as well as table tent. I also used a cherry blossom stamp, Ranger Queen's Gold embossing powder and Mums Gold on Cream Lokta fine paper. 
I learned to bind my own book! I also want to learn how to sew the actual interior pages
together but this is a start- best of al it was easy to do this with the Paper Source kit-
 everything is measured and cut out- all you need to do is put on your brave "I can handle wet
glue" face. Italian coast map print paper! SWOON!
Best 2 hours I've ever spent at "work"! I learned 3 new stamping techniques and so much about inks and
 embossing it was embarrassing. Did I think I was an experienced scrapbooker? HA!
I definitely recommend you swing by your local Paper Source branch and take this class!
So can you believe I just learned to wrap a gift properly? Yup! I failed at wrapping before
 but now I WIN. I also learned to make perfect bows which solved a life long dilemma and MAJOR
 pet peeve! LOVE IT!
On my shopping list right now:

  • Faux Bois wrapping paper
  • Zutter Bind It All Machine and 1 inch black wire
  • Color Box Pigment ink (slow drying so perfect for embossing effects)
  • Versamark embossing pen (love!)
  • Cherry Blossom stamp
  • Lokta grid and batik papers
  • Super tacky double sided tape in 1/8 and 1/4 sizes so I can add some glitter stripes to everything I make
  • Goldfish stamp (ZOMG!!! TOO CUTE!!)
  • Sakura Souffle pens- Puffy NEON color pens?? MUST HAVE!!!!
  • Savoy 100% cotton 8 by 11 cover weight pack (a MUST HAVE for water color and embossing projects)
  • Extra fine embossing powder in clear and black
  • Paper Source mixed color cardstock pack (loved playing with different color combos- everything goes together)

So enough salivating for now. THANK YOU Shanti for recommending me- you have a loyal friend for EVER! :)
ALSO... (OOOPS!!!)
Happy Father's Day everyone.

GRATUITOUS CUTE FATHER/DAUGHTER SHOT!
Bokeh effect!! FINALLY! PicFX app.

MuChOS SmOoChEs!
Michelle

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new job Michelle!! Love everything your making and hope you will teach us how to tie a proper bow :) hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? I will make that my next post! :) It's so easy you could have literally knocked me over with a feather!

      Delete
  2. Felicidades amiguita en tu nuevo trabajo!! y que divino que tiene que ver con nuestro "hobby" Muy lindo todo lo que hicistes. Me imagino a Lola rompiendo la cajita y su carita al ver que no habian chocolates, ja,ja!! Que todo te vaya muy bien en tu nuevo job! Un abrazo!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gah! soooo jealous! i used to live right by a paper source and i totally loved that store...go you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been in a Paper Source store, but I searched it up and, boy!, there are a ton of them! Sounds like a really cool place, and congrats on your job! Kid minding the candy store, eh? Haha! Alas, it's an hour to my closest one, but sounds like it's time for a mini road trip! Those wedding pieces you designed are so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!!! CONGRATS!!! Much deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new position- I'm sure you'll do very well!
    Although I love living in the middle of nowhere, it sure would be nice to be able to take a class or two- I'm sure we'd all be amazed by what we don't know. So I guess I will just have to continue trying to teach myself and discover things on my own...
    Take care :),
    xErin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome gig, sounds like a fun job! Paper all day long wowser! Knew you 'd love the BIA, it's my favorite scrappy tool. Hoping you'll teach us your stamping finesse...I need all the help I can get! Great Father Daughter shot, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats awesome! You DO need a Bind it all....its one of the best machines I own and I use it a lot! You would put it to great use!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paper Source would be a verrrrry dangerous place for me. But oh how fun and inspiring. I hope you are able to bring some money home. I would only bring home paper - lots and lots of paper.

    ReplyDelete

Ok peeps lets CHAT! You tell me what you REALLY think and I PROMISE to keep it open minded here.