Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Book MANIA!!!!!!

A section of my crammed bookcase.

One of my intellectual friends from college, Tre Northern, sent this list via facebook. He highlighted the books he had read (WAAAY more than me)- I've read all the bolded ones. I was gratified I'd read so many and frustrated I had so many left to read. Maybe one day I'll have read this entire list.... How many have YOU read??

The BBC believes most people will have read only 6 of the 100 books listed here.
  • 1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (This is everyone's fave Jane book- I love it but my fave is Persuation)
  • 2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien (awesome awesome awesome)
  • Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte (Jane is too self sacrificing for me- I wish she had kicked more ass)
  • Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (The last one was the kicker)
  • 5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (I still have my 8th grade copy- great book)
  • 6 The Bible- (Ok I NEED to read it- it's a critical I do so but so far I've just read Genesis)
  • 7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte (Wanted to strangle the entire cast- everyone is a JERK in this book!!)
  • 8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell (keep picking up then putting it down in frustration)
  • 9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman (The series FALLS APART after the first book. I mean alien tripods with wheels???? W.T.H PHILIP?????)
  • 10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens (I can fill an entire novel on how much I hate Dickens.)
  • 11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott (Read all these awesome ancient chick lit books)
  • 12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
  • 13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
  • 14 Complete Works of Shakespeare (UNFAIR! These should be separated into individual works!!!)
  • 15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
  • 16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien (read after I read the other books- put it off 'cause I thought I would hate it)
  • 17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulk
  • 18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger (I find this protagonist whiny and obnoxious- very hard to finish- wanted to SLAP him!)
  • 19 The Time Traveler’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger (GREAT book- WHACK movie)
  • 20 Middlemarch - George Eliot
  • 21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell 
  • 22 The Great Gatsby - (Hard to read because you see the end coming a mile away and it hurts )
  • 24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy 
  • 25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams (Dude once you get over earth getting blown up you have a great time!!!)
  • 27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Never will I waste time with this insanely long book- sorry)
  • 28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck  (Slogged through this and glad I did)
  • 29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll (All time favorite Victorian book. Alice is a snooty impatient chica just like me)
  • 30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame (I would drive like Mr. Toad. Yes I would)
  • 31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy (Will be reading this soon- LOVE the Greta Garbon classic movie)
  • 32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
  • 33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis (I kept wanting
  • 34 Emma -Jane Austen (Emma is obnoxious but you end up loving her conceited & prejudiced butt anyway- WIERD!)
  • 35 Persuasion - Jane Austen (This is my fave Jane book- MAJOR dramz in this plot!!))
  • 36 The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (FUN!!! GREAT READ)
  • 37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (Can't do it- can't get through this sad book)
  • 38 Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
  • 39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden (This book is flagrant orientalism)
  • 40 Winnie the Pooh - A.A. Milne (DUH!!! This is standard kid reading!)
  • 41 Animal Farm - George Orwell (Wonder if I would be a pig dictator if given the chance?)
  • 42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown (Everyone's read this no?)
  • 43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (A MUST read!)
  • 44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
  • 45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
  • 46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery 
  • 47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
  • 48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood (Margaret is required reading for all feminists)
  • 49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding (there's a black and white film good as the book)
  • 50 Atonement - Ian McEwan
  • 51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel 
  • 52 Dune - Frank Herbert (My Mom is obssesed with Dune and so I had to read in order to understand)
  • 53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
  • 54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen (Ahh Jane- if only you'd lived into your 80s)
  • 55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
  • 56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
  • 57 A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens (Teacher assigned- made me HATE Dickens- HATE HATE HATE)
  • 58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (hard to read- made me very angry)
  • 59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
  • 60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (This man is a GENIOUS)
  • 61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck (My sister brought home all the Steinbecks on hardback and I read most of them- SO GLAD I did)
  • 62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov (sick bastard- great book)
  • 63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt
  • 64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold (HARD to read HARDER to put down)
  • 65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas (OMG Alexander is the best adventure writer EVER)
  • 66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac (Read it so I could take some modernist inspired photos- FAILED)
  • 67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
  • 68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding (Wanted to strangle the woman the entire time then read the sequel! ??? I know!!!)
  • 69 Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie
  • 70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville (Call me ISHMAEL. That's the name of my future son- if I have one)
  • 71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens (Cannot abide Charles Dickens- HATE his style HATE!!)
  • 72 Dracula - Bram Stoker (LOVE Victorian horror)
  • 73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett (Read The Little Princess too!)
  • 74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson (need to get on with reading this man's books- he's great)
  • 75 Ulysses - James Joyce (I heard this is one of the hardest things to read in the western cannon. Is it?)
  • 76 The Inferno - Dante (College assignment I'm deeply glad I read)
  • 77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
  • 78 Germinal - Emile Zola
  • 79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray (Read it after watching movie)
  • 80 Possession - AS Byatt
  • 81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (love the movies- will skip the book forever)
  • 82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
  • 83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker (Extremely hard for me to get through first chapter)
  • 84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro (Read it 'cause the movie was HOT)
  • 85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
  • 86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
  • 87 Charlotte’s Web - E.B. White (Everyone should read this!!! How about "Trumpet of the Swan"?)
  • 88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom (I know!)
  • 89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (This TOTALLY counts for like 10 books!)
  • 90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
  • 91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
  • 92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery (My Mom read this to me)
  • 93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
  • 94 Watership Down - Richard Adams (Made me cry cry CRY)
  • 95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole (Been on my list forever but never read)
  • 96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
  • 97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas (My 6th grade art teacher gave me this novel and started my Romantic lit craze)
  • 98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare (read while on vacation in Costa Rica- awesome!)
  • 99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl (read during summer camp)
  • 100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (tried but found it sorta boring and LONG)
Missing- Mark Twain, Edgar Allan Poe, Terry Prachett, Jamaica Kincaid, Sheridan LeFanu and like a thousand others but that's just my opinion. If you include Bridget Jones Diary but not these guys you have ZERO Brit bookworm cred. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ok peeps lets CHAT! You tell me what you REALLY think and I PROMISE to keep it open minded here.