Thursday, May 2, 2013

Where in the world has Michelle been? Fun news!! Also? Shooting scrapbook pages in the dark of NYC apartments

HALLO HALLO!

I've been working on a big project and it required lots of my brain power just to keep calm.

What's the big news?

Tomorrow I will be featured over at Shimelle.com!!
WOOOOT!

My post will be called:
 5 ways to finish chipboard by Michelle Hernandez (or something in that vein.)

When I got a peamail from Shimelle three weeks ago I was completely gobsmacked (lol!- sister who lives in the UK- can you tell?).

I have ZERO idea who's looking at my work half the time so when ANYONE contacts me I'm all
"Wait... You sure you mean Michelle Hernandez?"

I suspect I have a very enthusiastic suporter out there- thank you!

While perusing Shimelle's blog I spotted a favorite scrapper of mine.

Please check out Ashley Oliver's (SoaphouseMama) Shimelle.com post:

I've never really talked about how I shoot my projects.

If you read regularly you know I live in what most people would call a closet- a square space about 400 square feet.

There are windows here but they face another building- this is New York- Apartment sunlight is for the rich and famous.

How do I usually shoot my photos?
This is very rare. I tend to shoot my projects in the fire escape because people WILL stare
when they see me hanging scrapbook pages up on waterfront concrete. I wanted a pretty city
scene for my Shimelle feature which required I shoot horizontal oriented staged project photos.
I love staging my projects but staging requires SUNLIGHT. I had to go outside-
and it was windy- so I dropped my original plan to shoot on an easel and went with this instead.
I was looking through my photos when I spotted this, the only photo where you see the
scrapbook page before the wind blew the easel down.
I credit ZipDry for keeping everything in place even as the page fell off the table 30 times.
Needless to say shooting 5 projects when they insist on FLIGHT is not optimal conditions for sanity.
Wait! I DID blog about this before!
Here is a card I shot in my fire escape (the ominous bars) using Crate Paper as a "floor"
since the fire escape bottom is also bars.
Major problem with this? You can TOTALLY have your project blown into the river from here.
I usually shoot everything in a box.
Have a great weekend.Nationa Scrapbooking Day is coming up!

Also? MOTHER'S DAY!
SO gonna SCORE (at Joann's)!!!!

Michelle

11 comments:

  1. THAT IS SO AWESOME! YOU SO DESERVE THIS! YOU ROCK!

    Clear enough? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your page is awesome Michelle!
    I love going through here is so full of colors and ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome news! Yay for you :) :) very well deserved, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on being featured !!! Love your projects, they are super cool

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, you are so funny! One of my layouts blew away once - in the middle of winter, in my yard. I had my slippers on and had to go back inside for shoes before tromping out in the snow to save it. Good times. : )

    Congrats on your post for Shimelle. I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh GOODY!!!!! This post was a riot to read - so fun! AND - congrats!!!! So deserved and can't wait to see what you did!!! Also, thanks for the sweet shout-out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the picture of the layout, family and building in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME!!! Love this post so much! Brilliant work!!! :D Love the projects and the way you photographed them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, just found your blog rom Shimelle. Love your work. Wish I could get messy, have all the tools, paints etc but just too nervous to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belated Congratulations :D I love all the various ways you shoot your photos. It gives me a real sense of somewhere I would dearly love to visit from the perspective of someone who lives there rather than the touristy stuff on the TV. I adore that beach shot and the one with the (what are those things called) googly eye viewer and buildings in the distance.

    I have no doubt you were gobsmacked because you really don't seem to realise just how crazy talented you are. Bet you're chuffed to bits though ;)

    ReplyDelete

Ok peeps lets CHAT! You tell me what you REALLY think and I PROMISE to keep it open minded here.